Open/Close Toolbox
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0 International License
Item Type: Place
Linked To
CollectionImage
Map
StreetView
Copyright
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0 International LicenseThis licence lets you remix, tweak, and build upon our work noncommercially, as long as you credit us and license your new creations under these identical terms. You can download, redistribute, translate, make remixes and produce new stories based on our work. All new work based on ours will carry the same licence; so any derivatives will also be noncommercial in nature.
Menu
Lambert Building
Place
Datenot specifiedDescriptionThe Lambert Building at 172-180 High Street, Rangiora, was known for most of its life as the Allison Building.
In 1865 the Mandeville and Rangiora Road Board built an office on the site. There was a house for the Road Board Clerk in the centre of the section, halfway between High and Blake Streets. Later the Road Board built large stables with stabling for about six horses and an upper storey for the storage of fodder etc.
The Road Boards were dissolved in 1912 when the county councils were established. The land was sold to W D Allison in February 1913 and the Road Board office was moved back on the section to allow a full frontage on High Street. Walter Allison had a two-storey, double-brick building erected for him by Cecil Ayers, which was probably completed in 1914.
The double-brick Allison Building consisted of three shops on the ground floor and a dwelling for Walter Allison above and behind the two western shops, and dental rooms above the eastern shop. The middle shop (then 118 High Street) was Walter Allison chemist shop.
The original verandah for the shop fronts was unusual, being semi-circular in shape, made of corrugated iron and more elegant than its replacement. The shop frontages had brown glazed tiles below the display windows and recessed front doors.
The first known occupier of the western shop, 120 High Street, was Chas E Christopula, a confectioner who was there at least from 1915-20. In the 1930s it was The Continental, Len James confectionery and tearooms, later Mick Fahey fruit and confection, before being remodeled in 1943 for Harold and Dennis Schofield as the Santa Fe Milkbar. This had an open frontage, folding doors and seating down the side. Jim Fleming was the next owner, and then it was Brownie Milk Bar about 1960. The frontage changed again when it became Don Greig Jeweller, later Rangiora Jewellers and then the Flight Centre.
Gavin Watson purchased the chemist business from Walter Allison in 1926. The Road Board office was used as a shed by Mr Watson for storage of bulk items for his pharmacy, and also as a play area for his children. The stables opposite housed a wash-house with copper and tubs, workshop, coal storage and a fowl house. Both office and stables remained on the site until the Rangiora Borough Council developed the area into the Blake Street car park in the 1970s.
Gavin Watson took Ken Jack into partnership in 1956, and sold the business to him in 1966. The building was extended at the rear sometime in the 1970s. Ken and Joan Jack were the last ones to live in the building. Graeme Smith was the last owner of the pharmacy business.
The eastern shop, 114 High Street, was Arthur Cambridge Hardware and Ironmongery in the 1930s. The shop was then empty for some years. In 1943 the shop was remodeled to become the Astral Beauty Salon run by Elva Schofield, wife of Harold in the Santa Fe. The next owner changed the name to The Beauty Spot. Beggs was the next business in this shop. In the 1970s Robinson and Adams (selling ladies frocks) expanded into this shop by cutting a hole in the east wall to allow entry from their main shop at 112 High Street. They remained in the shop until early 1977. By 1982 it was Jill Smith Typing and Duplicating, then Copy Centre and finally Swift Type.
Upstairs, with an entrance between the alleyway that led to Allison house and the shop to the east, was a set of steep stairs leading up to A B Johnson, the dentist, 116 High Street. This consisted of a waiting area, surgery and a large workroom on the north side. A B Johnson was there from about 1922 to 1944. Trevor Court, accountant, was there later, also Drafting and Design and Our Town Rangiora.
The building was purchased by Alan Lambert in 1995 and has been known as the Lambert Building since that time
The Lambert Building was declared earthquake-prone and dangerous by the Council in February 2012 and was demolished in August 2012.
Source: Leith Newell, daughter of Gavin WatsonKeywordsRangiora
Geolocation[1] Geo Plolygonnot specified
In 1865 the Mandeville and Rangiora Road Board built an office on the site. There was a house for the Road Board Clerk in the centre of the section, halfway between High and Blake Streets. Later the Road Board built large stables with stabling for about six horses and an upper storey for the storage of fodder etc.
The Road Boards were dissolved in 1912 when the county councils were established. The land was sold to W D Allison in February 1913 and the Road Board office was moved back on the section to allow a full frontage on High Street. Walter Allison had a two-storey, double-brick building erected for him by Cecil Ayers, which was probably completed in 1914.
The double-brick Allison Building consisted of three shops on the ground floor and a dwelling for Walter Allison above and behind the two western shops, and dental rooms above the eastern shop. The middle shop (then 118 High Street) was Walter Allison chemist shop.
The original verandah for the shop fronts was unusual, being semi-circular in shape, made of corrugated iron and more elegant than its replacement. The shop frontages had brown glazed tiles below the display windows and recessed front doors.
The first known occupier of the western shop, 120 High Street, was Chas E Christopula, a confectioner who was there at least from 1915-20. In the 1930s it was The Continental, Len James confectionery and tearooms, later Mick Fahey fruit and confection, before being remodeled in 1943 for Harold and Dennis Schofield as the Santa Fe Milkbar. This had an open frontage, folding doors and seating down the side. Jim Fleming was the next owner, and then it was Brownie Milk Bar about 1960. The frontage changed again when it became Don Greig Jeweller, later Rangiora Jewellers and then the Flight Centre.
Gavin Watson purchased the chemist business from Walter Allison in 1926. The Road Board office was used as a shed by Mr Watson for storage of bulk items for his pharmacy, and also as a play area for his children. The stables opposite housed a wash-house with copper and tubs, workshop, coal storage and a fowl house. Both office and stables remained on the site until the Rangiora Borough Council developed the area into the Blake Street car park in the 1970s.
Gavin Watson took Ken Jack into partnership in 1956, and sold the business to him in 1966. The building was extended at the rear sometime in the 1970s. Ken and Joan Jack were the last ones to live in the building. Graeme Smith was the last owner of the pharmacy business.
The eastern shop, 114 High Street, was Arthur Cambridge Hardware and Ironmongery in the 1930s. The shop was then empty for some years. In 1943 the shop was remodeled to become the Astral Beauty Salon run by Elva Schofield, wife of Harold in the Santa Fe. The next owner changed the name to The Beauty Spot. Beggs was the next business in this shop. In the 1970s Robinson and Adams (selling ladies frocks) expanded into this shop by cutting a hole in the east wall to allow entry from their main shop at 112 High Street. They remained in the shop until early 1977. By 1982 it was Jill Smith Typing and Duplicating, then Copy Centre and finally Swift Type.
Upstairs, with an entrance between the alleyway that led to Allison house and the shop to the east, was a set of steep stairs leading up to A B Johnson, the dentist, 116 High Street. This consisted of a waiting area, surgery and a large workroom on the north side. A B Johnson was there from about 1922 to 1944. Trevor Court, accountant, was there later, also Drafting and Design and Our Town Rangiora.
The building was purchased by Alan Lambert in 1995 and has been known as the Lambert Building since that time
The Lambert Building was declared earthquake-prone and dangerous by the Council in February 2012 and was demolished in August 2012.
Source: Leith Newell, daughter of Gavin WatsonKeywordsRangiora
Geolocation[1] Geo Plolygonnot specifiedSource: Waimakariri Libraries
March 2023
Connections
CollectionCommercial and Public buildings
Personnot specifiedPlacenot specifiedEventnot specifiedOrganisationnot specified
Personnot specifiedPlacenot specifiedEventnot specifiedOrganisationnot specifiedLambert Building. Waimakariri Heritage, accessed 21/03/2026, https://waimakariri.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/596




